As someone who has moved home as many times as I’ve had “hot dinners” (or so it would seem), I know what I’m talking about when it comes to de-cluttering. For many people moving home (unless you’re a first timer), it’s hard to believe just how much stuff you accumulate over the years. Add to this the fact that you might have a garage and loft full of bulkier items that won’t fit into your car and you’re left with a potential rubbish problem.
Why Use a House Clearance Company?
There are many reasons and some of them are stated below:
- Imagine how much it will cost you in fuel to go to and from your local dump?
- Think about the amount of time it will take you to not only decide what to throw away but then bag it up and load it in the car.
- At the other end, you’ll also have some back-breaking work to do and you MUSN’T forget that certain items can only be dumped into certain bins so these will need to be packed up separately.
This is just the tip of the iceberg really. If you have furniture or white goods you no longer need, this can get pretty complicated because of the laws the UK has about doing away with rubbish. You only have to look at the way in which your every-day bins are dealt with!
What to Look Out For in a House Clearance Company
You will have to do your research here. There are many companies on the market that claim they will take your rubbish away for you and they all charge different rates depending on what you need to get rid of. Below are a few things you need to think about:
- Make sure the company is licensed. If you have fridges, a washing machine or any other manner of electrical appliances that need to go, the company you use should be WEEE certified.
- Check their environmental policy. Lots of companies out there are doing a perfectly legal job when taking away your rubbish but it’s up to you to make sure they’re dealing with it in a way that won’t increase your carbon footprint.
- Make sure you’re very clear on what you need removed and check what equipment will be used to do this. The very last thing you need is for a team to arrive on the day without the necessary equipment to do things like dismantle furniture.
Get a few quotes for the work you need doing and compare them all. Take a price from somewhere in the middle (cheapest isn’t always best). When you’re looking at costs make sure you understand how much time and money it will save you, not to mention the strain on your muscles!
After all, making your move as simple and stress free as possible is just one reason why house clearance companies offer such a valuable service.
Author: Julie Coburn